Glyph: A Self-Portrait of a Leader


As you can tell from my glyph drawing above, my thoughts on leadership are somewhat the same.  One key aspect of a leader that I still believe is true is that a person can gain the characteristics of a leader.  I believe that a person can work on various aspects of their character to improve their leadership skills. The major change in my drawing was that I felt that I had more leadership experience than most people my age.  When thinking back to my time in graduate school, I think about my time spent as the fundraising chair for our SOTA club.  That experience took a lot of leadership because I was in charge of raising the money that sent our fellow students to various conferences.  I had to come up with ideas on how to raise the money and get people excited about the events or t-shirt sales.  That experience challenged my leadership skills and made me a better leader.  Another area my drawing changed was the size of the eyes, which means I no longer believe that everyone is a leader.  At first, I would have said everyone was because I was used to everyone around me taking on leadership roles within the community, school, social clubs, etc but I have noticed in graduate school that some students choose to not take on a leadership role.  These students tend to follow what the "leader" says and don't voice their thoughts or opinions much.  I will say that there are students who are leaders without taking on leadership roles, these students I have notices lead through their actions.  They tend to have a positive attitude about all aspects of school and work to the best of their ability in all that they do; they set an example for the rest of the class.  For the most part, I still have the same thoughts on the characteristics of leaders.  I look forward to seeing how my glyph drawing changes after I have transferred from student to the workforce. 

Comments

Popular Posts