Neuro Note 3: Dementia

I chose to read the article OT's Role in Helping Grandkids Understand Dementia by Mandy Chamberlain MOTR/L.  I chose to read about this because my grandfather has recently been diagnosed with dementia and I recently have been thinking about how it would be for my parents to explain it to us when we were younger.  I thought it was very interesting how the health professionals made sure to explain what they were doing and why to the children as they did it.  I also liked that they gave them the ability to choose what scarf or toy their Nana got to hold.  Also, the author talks about how her children were invited to do artwork with their Nana and other residents and how that taught the children to interact with people who had dementia.  I enjoyed reading about how the bond between the grandchildren and their Nana helped with her dementia.  I thought this would be fitting to our class since we just learned about dementia and we will have to learn how to help the family with dementia, not just the patient.  Also, since dementia is very much so case by case it was nice to ready about their experience.

Chamberlain, M., MOTR/L. (2016, July 08). OT's Role in Helping Kids Understand a Grandparent's Dementia. Retrieved May 23, 2018, from https://www.seniorsflourish.com/kidsanddementia/

Comments

Popular Posts